02 Mar Moving House ~ All the to do’s you need to do
Here is a list for anyone moving house … a whole bunch of tips, tricks and ideas for you:
- You need to declutter and chuck out … you can either do this as you packing, but I wouldn’t, I would spend time in each room, going through everything and seeing what is going with you, and what is not.
- The “what is not” can go in to various piles: for friends/family, for charity, for sale, for chucking out – and then get that to the right people and/or places asap, so it is out of the way.
- Get your pets chipped so if for some reason in the chaos they escape, they can be returned to you very quickly – but on this note, have a very set plan for the munchkins for that day.
- Decide on your movers – get quotes from a few options, but the people I have used for every single move are Reliable Removers, they have even stored my stuff when I lived somewhere for a few months … they so great! I have never had any issues …
- Order the boxes, tape, bubble wrap and start collecting newspaper and magazines …
- Work out what TV and IT things need to be done in the house, and get quotes from guys – because this you want to get done the day before you move if possible, if not, you want them booked for the day of the move … such as Dtsv connections and/or fibre installations
- Book a cleaning company to go to your new house the day before and clean – I promise you this will be so worth it. I got Mollywood Maids in, and they bring in a swarm of ladies, who each take a room, and spend a day cleaning it – it is great!
- Work out a packing schedule – when will you pack? you can either do it as a room a night, or a few rooms a weekend – but make a plan and stick to it!
- Work out how you will label your boxes to make the most sense for you on the other side … I always do it by room they will go in to in the new house. I don’t just pack whatever is in front of me … I keep boxes to rooms, that way it is easy to unpack.
- Take a picture of each appliance – all the chords at the backs nd how they go together and what goes where … so you just open up your pic on the other side and done, make it look the same.
JUST BEFORE MOVING
- Make sure all the right people who need to know you moving, know … such as:
- insurance companies – so your stuff is insured properly
- identitets for your pets – so if God forbid they get out of the new place, they can be sent to the right home
- Put together a moving kit for yourself – you will need:
- sunlight soap
- cold drinks / water
- handy andy
- dustbin bags
- hand cream
- a roll or 2 of toilet paper
- Don’t pack all the adaptors, the one’s running all your appliances – the day before the move, remove them (the one’s you can – probably not the TV) and take them to the house, and set them all up in the rooms you want each appliance in … that way, when the appliance is moved in or placed, you can literally plug it in, straight … working
- The day before is the day you empty the fridge and defrost the freezer of anything that is still left – but try very hard to use up all that you have in both before hand
- Buy your food for the day – snacks and lunch – that do not need knives and forks to eat!
- And buy a bunch of cold rinks in cans, that you can handout to the guys who end up at your house doing stuff … the hard work stuff!
- Double check the time the movers will arrive at you in the morning to start – and be READY!
- Munchkins – they need to be locked in a room where no one needs to go in, while the movers move everything out. Then you need to transport them with you, and when you get to the new house, they must be outside (where you have checked there no ways out!)
- Wear something comfortable, and light – and sneakers!!!!
- And then it is important to just go with flow, and try not to stress out too much!